The Frame-Up (The Golden Arrow Mysteries Book 1) by Meghan Scott Molin by L. A. Keller

This is not a cozy mystery and to be honest, I’m not even sure how to categorize it. Part YA (young adult) part geek-science fiction adventure, part lighthearted comedy with a cold case murder and equal part mystery. This is the first of two books in this series with the second one due to be released in July of 2019. For a first time author it's a super accomplishment.

MG, whose real name is Michael Grace is her twenties and working her dream job as a writer at a comic book magazine. She avoids interacting with her co-workers any more than necessary. She prefers to spend her free time with her best friend, Lawrence and her roommate, Ryan.  Lawrence, also known as simply L or Latifah Nile, when in drag queen mode,  is also her stylist and costume model. Her relationship with Ryan is slightly undefined for me - ex-boyfriend, odd roommate/friend with whom she engages in video game battles, possible love interest?

MG wants a promotion to executive in her position with the comic book company. She believes the promotion is the key to her chance to be involved in the costuming aspect of the company. The reader soon understands that her blue hair and colorful wardrobe may simply be tools to hide behind.

I loved this line when L is fixing MG’s hair, “L forces my head forward and attacks my hair with a comb like the Hulk at an all-you-can-smash buffet.”  Very clever and made me laugh out loud.

While standing in the coffee line, MG inadvertently involves herself  in a detective's investigation when she recognizes a symbol stolen from the pages of The Hooded Falcon comic that her company writes. The arrow symbol is the trademark of the White Rabbit. But is this a coincidence or is it the work of the Falcon’s archenemy?

There are dozens of references in this book which I did not understand. I’ve seen Star Wars, and even Star Trek, but beyond that I'm lost. I've never read comics nor immersed myself in the culture. Despite my inadequacies in that area, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the author’s analogies which were clever and fresh. “My heard careens in my chest like a Mario-kart around a curve.” makes me imagine a go-kart flying around a track at break neck speed.

I enjoyed the slow romance which builds but is always believable and sweet. MG is attracted to the detective on the case but it’s not the usual all sex/no substance. It starts as a working relationship that builds into a friendship and then into an attraction. She says at one point that he has taken her heart by surprise and not just her mind. That is the way it should go!

MG grows as a person by the end of the book. She opens her mind to friendships and her heart to a relationship but it blossoms slowly rather than a fast burn out. She says, “I take the time to sort through the fact that Matteo isn’t my type. Instead, he balances me out. He doesn’t have to fit into my standards for a boyfriend...He cares about me. He may not know enough to ask me to watch a Doctor Who marathon yet but he’ll watch it with me because he knows it will make me happy.” I wish some of my single friends could figure this out.

This was a fun read - lighthearted, fast paced but sweet enough for me to recommend it to my niece. I will try another book by this author.



The Frame-Up

Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller