Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman by L. A. Keller



I haven't loved a book this much in longer than I can remember. I read every genre, except horror and nothing has kept me a prisoner of the page like Gail Honeyman's beautiful story of a woman lost in a world of regret, shame and abuse. This description sounds like the book is depressing but it's the opposite. The evolution of the character is heartwarming and you'll only be sad when the book is done.

I don't want to give away the story so this review will be intentionally vague.  When you first meet Eleanor your impression is one of a completely different person than the one who emerges as the story unfolds.

Eleanor works in an office, the same job she's held for a long time but despite that she has no friends. Her co-workers snicker about her, she believes her boss hired her because he felt sorry for her and she has scars - some visible and others not.  She lives by a strict set of self-imposed rules and to vary them causes her great stress.

But one day an event pushes Eleanor to try to change. Slowly she creeps out of her world and ventures into life. Thus begins the real story of her character.

My only regret is that the book ended. If you have read my reviews, you know I'm a fan of happy endings. I can't tell you if this one has a happy ending but it certainly will surprise you. Her writing style reminds me of Catherine Ryan Hyde's - well-defined characters who make you feel their pain and their joy.


Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine


Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller