Jayne's Restaurant Review - Maestro's Ocean Club by L. A. Keller

To celebrate a special occasion I made reservations at Maestro's Ocean Club restaurant in Scottsdale for a Saturday night. Although our reservation was for 6pm the restaurant was already quite busy and loud.  I've dined here before but didn't remember the volume being so high. I was looking forward to a dinner with piano music in the background and good conversation but what I received was a meal where we yelled at each other to be heard. To say this spoiled the meal would be incorrect because the food and service were exceptional. However, if you are looking for a romantic spot, this would not be it.

Two of us ordered the small filet mignon (@$49 each) Oscar style (topped with lump crab, asparagus and bĂ©arnaise) which added another $40 to the price. The rest of the party ordered seafood - sea bass, tuna and one salmon. We added sides of the lobster mashed potatoes (at a whopping $38), gorgonzola macaroni and cheese, brussels sprouts and green beans with almonds, each at $13.  The sides were delicious except for the lobster mashed potatoes. There was as much shell in the dish as there was lobster and the potatoes were mushy instead of firm. For the price, this dish should have been something I dream about but as it was, it was more of a nightmare.

Service was what I expected for a restaurant of this caliber.  Our server was present when needed and absent when we didn't.  As I had advised the restaurant it was a birthday, they delivered a massive slice of the triple chocolate layer cake which was delicious but just a touch overly sweet.  We also ordered the warm butter cake and the profiteroles. Three of my party said the profiteroles were overly salty but I didn't notice that. Of course, I had only one small spoonful before returning to the butter cake so perhaps my judgement was clouded by that mouth watering treat. You should enjoy the butter cake because it costs $17 which is way overpriced in my opinion.

I never felt rushed through the meal, despite the fact that the restaurant was packed when we left. It's a great place to take business associates you want to impress but not a place to go if you want to have conversation or save for your retirement. With one decent bottle of wine, ($75), three dinners, all of the sides and one dessert my bill, with tip it was over $450.  Next time I'll go to Ocean Prime where the food is as delicious, the atmosphere decidedly better and the prices comparable.

Here's a link - be forewarned the prices are not on the online menu

https://www.mastrosrestaurants.com/Locations/AZ/Scottsdale-Ocean-Club/Menu/

Remember to always drink responsibly and tip your bartender and servers.

Happy Dining,

Jayne


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller