Writing Support

I just joined yet another writing group, well actually make that a new group and two sub-groups.  You may wonder why, when I already barely have time to catch my breath, that I decided to commit myself to something else.  The answer is simple - I get so much more than the time I invest.

Every time I attend a meeting or read the publications from these associations I find my almost dead batteries are re-charged.  My inspiration (some like to call it their muse) returns.  My motivation to sit back down at the keyboard and bang away is back and I remember why I'm doing this at all.  I love books and even more than reading books I love to write.

As hard as the task seems to be at the end of a long day, or an even longer week, putting my thoughts on paper is exhilarating.  The possibility of seeing my work in print or even in an e-book format is thrilling.  So despite feeling that I have absolutely nothing to contribute, nothing to say (which is shocking if you knew me personally) and nothing in my head besides how many housewife shows I can watch in a four hour period, these support groups put me back on track.

I'm now committed to attending four writing groups a month.  This number in itself doesn't seem overwhelming but layer the meetings on top of a ten hour work day, meals to fix, time allocated for exercise, friends, family and, last but not least my significant other and it can become daunting.  Even though there are some evenings I can barely drag myself into the car to attend, every moment is worth it.  Talking with other writers is the best way to get back into your groove.  I have yet to meet anyone who wasn't encouraging and helpful.  We all want to publish and on some level we are competitors but the writing community supports each other like none I have encountered.

If you are new to writing and insecure or unsure of which direction to turn, make it your first mission to find a local group and attend every function.  You don't have to submit your work for critiques or even speak to anyone if you are shy, just show up and absorb.

Happy trails,

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller