Book Review - Catch Me: A Detective D.D. Warren Novel by Lisa Gardner

First let me say that normally I would not consider Lisa Gardner to be a cozy mystery writer.  There is no element of humor in this book, however, there is also no graphic violence.  I've read other books by this author and had forgotten how much I love her writing.

The book starts with a prologue. In the rules of writing which every aspiring author learns, prologues are the death of a book. I've heard more times than I care to remember to never start a book with a prologue.  In my opinion this book's prologue was really basically chapter one but the author used the term in order to give a flashback scene. The chapter was exceptional and really grabbed my interest so ultimately who cares what you call it.

The book is centered around two characters - Charlene Rosalind Carter Grant and detective D.D. Warren.  Told in first person in some chapters as Charlie and in third person when the chapter is devoted to D.D.  The two meet when Charlie seeks D.D.'s help to solve Charlie's upcoming murder.  Yes, that is what I said - upcoming.

I don't want to give away too much of the story because it's a fabulous read. It grabbed my attention at the beginning and never let it go until the very end. There are several stories interwoven through the plot but not so much so that you as the reader become confused. The characters were well defined and easy to relate to - which is always very important to me. The author makes the reader feel invested in what happens to them.  

I will definitely read another in this series. A cursory glance indicates there are at least eight books so I'll have to go back and start at the beginning. I can't wait to see what else develops with D.D. Warren.

Happy trails,

Leslie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller