Romance - where did it go?

I don't read romance novels. I really don't. No, I'm pretty sure I don't read them. Okay, so maybe every once in a while I might read something like a romance. I don't mean the shades of some color type of "romance" or the busty barmaid rescued by the prince. I mean the real kind.

What is a real romance? For me, it must take place in the last ten years, have people who I might run into at the grocery store and involve independent women. That might not work for everyone who reads romance but I can't imagine falling in love with a story that is too far fetched. Recently I mentioned Nicholas Sparks and one of his romance novels. I'm not his agent but I feel that he writes romance as well as anyone can. Who didn't cry at The Notebook?

Back to my original question - where has the romance gone? If we didn't read romance novels, would we have any romance in our daily lives? I know I'm a busy person. To be honest, that doesn't even begin to describe what my days are like. By the end of the day, I have to admit, I'm not feeling particularly romantic. I just want to lay on the sofa, maybe eat some pizza and have a glass of wine. I don't have the energy to get dressed up, light candles or whisper sweet nothings into my partner's ear. Poor him!

Is it wrong to get my romance fix between the pages? It's satisfying in an odd sense to let others do all the hard work - the candle lighting and so on.
Is romance gone? Does anyone else get their fix this way?


Happy trails,

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller