Book Review - The Cavanaugh House by Elizabeth Meyette

This is the first book of two in the series. This is basically a light mystery with a paranormal element and a bit of romance.

Set in 1968, Jesse Graham has ended her engagement because her fiancé, a somewhat famous musician, has been cheating on her. Luckily she has inherited her aunt's house where she can live while she decides on her future. In the process of renovations, she meets her hunky neighbor, sees her aunt's ghost and figures out an old murder.

I admit to forgetting most of what I learned about Catholicism as a child, however there were parts of this book which didn't ring true for me in Jesse's relationship with her friend. Maggie, the nun. I questioned the language Jesse uses with her friend. Even though they grew up together I would expect her to have more respect for her friend's religion. Jesse routinely curses and they drink beer as if it were water. There is also a section where Jesse convinces Maggie to remove something which doesn't belong to her. I think stealing goes against one of the commandments. At one point Maggie says "whatever the hell she is" which again I think might go against her vows.

My main objections to the story were those where I felt the author took some liberties with the behavior and also the time frame. The setting felt much more current than 1968 and twice I had to look back at the beginning to make sure I remembered that correctly. The renovations to the home seemed to occur very quickly and, having done some renovations, it is not the norm for an entire house to be redo, including wiring and plumbing in a matter of months.

Despite all of the above, I enjoyed the story.  Jesse is likeable, the ghost wasn't overdone and the mystery was not too predictable.




Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website for the latest News and book updates

Twitter          Instagram          Facebook          Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller