Book Review - The Things We Wish Were True by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen

This book revolves around the lives of several people in a community who come to know each other after a child almost dies in the pool. School is out for the summer and it's the first day the neighborhood pool is open.

There is an almost overwhelming cast of characters:  Cailey a young girl who is in charge of her brother, Cutter while their single mother works. Zell a mother who's only son appears to be somewhat estranged, and her relationship with her husband reflects years of marriage - existing side by side but not really communicating. Jencey comes with her two young children. She's recently moved back to her hometown after her husband went to jail.  Her lavish lifestyle the result of criminal behavior. Bryte appears to be living her dream with her beautiful son and loving husband, Everett. Lance, Zell's neighbor who can't get his life on track after his wife left him alone to raise their two children.

This book illustrates that what appears on the surface isn't always what is real. I'm sorry to say it reminded me a little of the television show, Desperate Housewives and some of Liane Moriaty's writing. That said, I loved every one of Liane's books and the t.v. show.  Although the author threw in some twists you don't expect near the end, some of the story was predictable.  I generally do not enjoy a story which flip flops between characters every chapter, but this did keep my interest.  My main complaint would be to leave out about five of the characters and all the many children's names. I felt I needed to take notes to keep track of them all and for the most part, their participation was minimal.



Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website


Comments

  1. I have just begun this book and the writing seems good but the names of the characters are RIDICULOUS. In the south we all have friends with family surnames as first names or even some unusual names but it seems ALL the characters have unusual and irritating monikers. To me it detracts from the telling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Too many characters with unusual names just detracts from the story.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller