What motivates you to write?

If you are a writer, and by that I am including anyone who writes anything from a personal journal to an article for the New York Times, what motivates you on a regular basis to allow the words and thoughts to escape from your mind and onto a page?

In the years when I didn't blog or work on a novel, I used to keep a daily journal.  For me my motivation was strictly therapeutic.  It helped me purge the stress of my day and work out whatever was bothering me.  The more difficult my day, the more determined I was to write it down.  Of course, there were times when it also helped me remember how to be grateful for all of the blessings in my life. 

Now when I know I should be writing or blogging or spending my time wisely, I am often tempted to read someone else's book or watch some "reality" television.  Sometimes I have more difficulty tuning out the rest of the world and focusing on the work. 

So I am curious as to how others turn off the noise and allow the words to flow.  While I'm waiting for those responses I think I'll eat some chocolate.  I'm sure that will help motivate me in some way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller