Premise

If you look up the word premise in my American Heritage Dictionary from 1982, you will find this as one of the definitions:

A proposition upon which an argument is based or from which a conclusion is drawn.

Wikipedia lists the definition as, "...a premise is an assumption that something is true."

In writing my novel, I used premise to ask the question of "what".  What must my hero overcome to accomplish her goals?  What if a clumsy waitress is accused of murder and has to figure out whodunit?  What if I took some of my real life experiences in the restaurant industry and added a touch of "what if"?  Basically what is the novel about, what is the foundation on which the story is based?

I like to use this thought process when I'm sitting in the airport waiting on my flight to depart.  What if the woman in the business suit is really a spy?  What if the man and woman traveling together are actually both married to someone else?  As you can probably imagine there is no end to the possibilities and it certainly helps the time fly.

I used those two words to formulate the idea for my next novel.  Stay tuned for some tidbits from that work in progress.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller