Rejection

Up to this past week only a very few select people whom I know personally had been permitted to view my first novel.  It's really silly when I think about it because the whole point in writing it was for people to read it.  Why then have I guarded it like the crown jewels? 

My guess would be because I'm paranoid that the person reading it won't like it.  What if she hates it?  What if she thinks it's horribly written and that becomes awkward?  It's much easier to accept rejection from agents or strangers than it is from someone you know.  I hope that agents won't hate my work but if they don't immediately call me and beg to represent me, I'm prepared for that.  If a good friend or family member reads what you've toiled over for months and hates it, how do you deal with that?

First, for your sake (and mine) I hope you never get that kind of reaction for your work.  My feedback has been very positive and I thank you all for that (huge sigh of relief) and it's the first step for me in getting over my fears.  If my dream of seeing my novels on the shelf of Barnes & Noble is ever to come true then I have to allow, beg, pay people to read it and comment.

So here's to celebrating another long week over and the promise to myself to put the work out there and be ready for whatever comes my way.

Leslie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller