I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After - Part Three by L. A. Keller


Here is the third installment of my short story. Read parts one and two on earlier blog posts.

                         =======================================
“I gave up on happily ever after. Maybe I'm not cut out for a relationship. Maybe, I just don't like being committed to one person for longer than two weeks."

                           ======================================
Part Three

Clare was surprised to see just how much had changed inside the barn.  Gone was the rusted red International tractor, replaced by a shiny monstrosity that appeared ready to crush anything in its path.  The aisle was swept clean and, even though she could see particles dancing in the slight breeze like fairy dust, the smell didn’t make her want to cover her nose.

“Wow, Granny this place looks different.”

“When your Gramps passed I decided to get some help. You know how he hated change more than he hated those Dallas Cowboys.”

Clare chuckled at the memory. Gramps hollered at the television throughout every football game and rooted for anyone who played against Dallas.  She felt a chill run down her arms and instinctively glanced over her shoulder sensing his presence and disapproval. If Gramps hated these changes she could imagine the volume of his protest if he knew she wanted Granny to sell the farm.

Mae pointed out renovations to the interior of the barn, and outside the new chicken coop and a sizeable greenhouse. The old corn silo, which had threatened to topple when Clare visited six months prior for Gramp’s funeral, was gone. In its place stood multiple paddocks where miniature horses, goats and sheep meandered. 

“What’s all this?” Clare resisted the urge to climb the fence and run her fingers through the mane of a Palomino mare whose withers would barely reach waist high.

“I’ve always wanted a different way to use the farm. Wyatt suggested we bring in tourists for a petting zoo. We sell fresh produce, eggs and have this section for the children. It’s all farm to table these days.”

Clare laughed and wondered just when her grandmother had become so current in her lingo. She bit her lip to avoid asking where the money came from.  As far as she knew her grandparents barely avoided the tax man, let alone have funds to do so much so quickly. There were no obvious renovations to the house, which would have been the first place she would start in order to make it sell as quickly as possible.

“Wow,” she said as she tried to absorb it all.

“It’s been so exciting. I was sure when I lost your grandfather I would follow him out of this world soon. Then Wyatt came up with these plans and there hasn’t been a moment to be sad.”

There was his name again. Wyatt! Clare’s stomach did a flip flop. If he thought she would stand aside and let him take advantage of her grandmother, he was the fool. She might have been a naïve little farm girl once but she didn’t submit her will to any man now, not even her soon to be husband. She let out a slow breath and tried to unclench her jaw muscles.

“Why didn’t I hear about any of this?”

“Oh sweetie you’re so busy with that important job of yours and planning your wedding, I didn’t want to bother you. Besides it’s all happened faster than I expected and, to be honest, I hoped to see you sooner than this.”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t get back here before now but we’ve spoken on the phone and you never brought it up.”

“I’ve been on my own for six months and I figured out real fast I had a choice. To give up and die sitting in my rocker on the porch or get my life together. You know what they say, this is my new normal.”

“Oh my God!  Who is telling you to say these things and where is my Granny?  If Wyatt has been filling your head with nonsense about get rich quick schemes with a petting zoo, he will find out fast that he’s mistaken.”

“Thank goodness for Wyatt. He’s been here taking care of the farm and me, even though he’s got his hands full over there at his home place with that little girl of his and his dad taking sick.”

Guilt flamed Clare’s face. Not only had she been completely self-absorbed with her new account but she let someone else be responsible for her last living relative.

“I didn’t know Mr. McClintock was sick.”

“He has cancer.  Sheila always tried to get him to get checked but he wouldn’t have any part of it.”

“I’m so sorry. Can anything be done?”

“He doesn’t want anything. Says if it’s his time so be it.”

“That must be terrible for his family.”


Clare decided a visit to their neighbors was in order. First to see if there was anything she could do to help and, while she was there, she could have a chat with Wyatt. Yes, she and Wyatt had a lot of catching up to do and he would hear exactly what she thought of his plans for her family farm.

Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller