Book Review - Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet by Jamie Ford

This book is a step out of my comfort zone as it includes some historical facts about the second World War. As a rule, I avoid novels about war because, to be honest, they are depressing. I usually believe there isn't anything about war which would interest me.  This book was an exception.

A fact about this time from Wikipedia which I found amazing.

The internment of Japanese Americans in the United States during World War II was the forced relocation and incarceration in camps in the interior of the country of between 110,000 and 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry who had lived on the Pacific coast. Sixty-two percent of the internees were United States citizens.

It's the story of Henry, a Chinese boy who grows up in Seattle during the Japanese internment. He befriends a Japanese girl who's family is taken away. We meet Henry as he gazes on the Panama Hotel in the current day. The book moves flawlessly between his past and his present.

The novel is about bullying, bravery and finding your way against the odds. I found it compelling and hard to put down.

I would definitely recommend this novel and hope the lessons within warm your heart.

Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller