Book Review - The Body in the Sleigh (Faith Fairchild series Book 18) by Katherine Hall Page

When I purchased this book I wasn't aware that I was reading the 18th book in the series. I haven't read any of the earlier books so I was surprised to be able to understand the character immediately. Often when you miss earlier books there is no real introduction to the character - some simply pick up where the last one left off. In this case that was not true.

The overall premise is that Faith and her family are staying at their summer home while, her husband Tom, who is a pastor, recuperated from an illness.  Set during the Christmas holiday, Faith is taking pictures of her family when she discovers the body of a dead girl positioned among the mannequins in a sleigh.

The secondary story is that of a newborn baby which is discovered in the barn of a woman who raises goats for their milk. Mary is a kindly lady who lives alone but is friendly with Faith.

The story is woven with religious references throughout. Even the names all have religious connotations. Whereas I would normally find this heavy handed the author manages it very well without pushing too much religion down the reader's throat. She uses a light touch to bring the story back around to the birth of Jesus.

The conclusion included a realistic climax, which kept me turning the pages to the end - and to 11:30 PM which his a bit past my bedtime.

As time allows, I will go back to the beginning of this series to see how the characters are developed. It was a fresh setting for a cozy and thoroughly enjoyable. In fact, one of the better ones I've read in recent times.

If you have read the book, I welcome your feedback.

Happy trails,

Leslie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller