Goodreads - Best books of the year

Goodreads has posted their reader review votes for the best books of the year.  I'm excited that The Silkworm was number 2.  This is a book by author Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling. Yes the same person who wrote the Harry Potter series.

Rumors were flying when this book came out as to why she wrote it under a pen name. Whatever the reason I was glad I read it. Having never read any of the Harry Potter books, nor even watched an entire movie I wasn't familiar with her writing style.

This was the second book in the series, the first being The Cuckoo's Calling. I loved the first book. I loved the central character who is flawed beyond being likeable. He is an alcoholic, womanizer and basically appears on the surface to be hopeless. But as you turn each page you begin to warm up to him and want to know more about him.

I wasn't as crazy about the second book. Although I still really enjoyed it I found it somewhat lacking some of "getting to know you" of the first book. Cormoran Strike the protagonist must solve yet another case. This one seems to throw a few too many red herrings (see my last post) and I missed some of the tension between the characters.

I would definitely recommend reading the first book and then when you have time follow it up with the second. If she comes out with a third I'll read that one too!

Happy trails,

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller