Book Review - Read It & Weep, A Library Lovers Mystery

Today's book review is on Read It & Weep, A Library Lovers Mystery(book 4) written by Jenn McKinlay.

I have to say before posting my review of this particular book, that I've heard Jenn McKinlay speak on at least two occasions. She has a great sense of humor and is an interesting speaker. I was excited to read this book as part of my local book club. I have read one of her cupcake cozy series which was better than this one but no others.

I couldn't help but notice that Jenn breaks the rules when it comes to the when the murder occurs. I was halfway through the book before anyone died. Now, I like a good lead in story as much as the next person but I would have been happy if she got to the point (someone dying) a bit sooner.

She introduced a lot of characters in the first few pages which caused me to have to go back and re-read it so that I could keep track of who was who.  Lastly, she spent too much time "telling" me about the main character instead of "showing" me.

I found some of the actions of the characters to be immature. The supposedly world renowned actor when Lindsay the librarian suggests he is a chicken does this:

"Bock, bock," he clucked as he walked away with his knees bent flapping his arms as he left the building.

I found this hard to believe. Another scene also annoyed me when a grown woman says:

"You should be ashamed of yourself," she snapped at Harvey and then she kicked him in the shin..

I don't know a woman, older than maybe six, who would kick a man in the shins because he was irritating.

The term "crafternooners" seemed silly to me as well.  As a member of a women's book club we can barely get through a book review (while having dinner and a glass or two of wine) never mind also working on a craft project. I suppose it's certainly possible but was too over the top for my taste.

The story was not believable, the characters too silly and the plot needed work. The concensus of my book club was the same, "immature" silly, formulaic, unbelieveable".  I'm sorry to post such a negative review but I won't read any more of this series.

As a side note, I understand the author is contracted to write at least three more books in the series. Perhaps I will read the last one to see if anything improves.

Happy Trails,

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller