Writing for your age?

Yes, today is my birthday - woo hoo?  I am unable to decide it that makes me happy or sad or if I should be way, way beyond celebrating the years.  I wonder if it's a good idea to be staring into this magnifying mirror and counting the wrinkles like the rings on a tree. I won't even try to count the gray hairs which are now popping up in my eyebrows and eyelashes!

What is it about getting older that we love until we hit thirty and then it's pretty much all downhill?  Looking back I have very few regrets about how I spent the years getting to this point and in reality I don't mind being my age - but I wouldn't mind being ten years younger either.  But seriously, where has the time gone?  I swear it seems like only a few years ago that I moved to Arizona and the reality is that I've been here almost twenty years.  My mind still thinks I am that same person but I'm relieved to say that I am a much wiser version.

Having said all of that my question today is whether you should be writing for a particular age group.  As we age are we in a better position to think back on the years and write about what we remember (I had a prior blog post on that topic) and are we really able to write from the perspective of someone maybe thirty years younger?  After all, times have definitely changed. Obviously some people are capable of stepping into the shoes of a young adult and assuming that identity. 

If I were to really concentrate I think I can clear out a few cobwebs and remember what it was like to be in high school but seriously my experiences were definitely not High School Musical or Glee quality.I think it comes down to what you are passionate about.  Rarely would I read a novel that is in the YA (young adult) genre because I can't relate to it and I get bored quickly.  The exception to that being the Twilight series which I loved. 

For years I created stories "on the fly" for my niece when I visited her.  At bedtime I would make up short stories about cats or horses and intertwine some reality from my own life.  I've never tried to write these down but I've always wanted to.  For me it would be more challenging to write from the perspective of someone thirty years older than myself.  That may just be my next challenge!

Leslie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller