Restaurant Portion Size by L. A. Keller

Recently I was fortunate to be included in an event in Napa. We dined at two amazing restaurants which included multiple courses. Some may say that ten courses of small bites isn't much. I'll guarantee you that I was more than full by the end. This made me wonder about why many restaurants in the U.S. serve gigantic portions.

I'm not opposed to family style dining. In fact, I find it a great way for everyone to taste different things. Generally, if I dine with certain family members, who will remain anonymous, those persons want to decide for everyone in order to share.  If I know in advance the portions are meant for sharing, I'm fine with ordering less.  However, for those restaurants which don't give you fair warning, there is too much food.

I'll admit I'm a nibbler. I enjoy small plates of different things. Even desserts are generally bigger than I can consume. This is a fact which drives my girlfriends crazy because they feel compelled to finish whatever dessert I order. I believe they are secretly happy that I always order dessert.

I have no scientific research to back up my theory however I think we all want a value. Look at the advertising campaigns on television for fast food. Every one has a value offer - burger, fries and a drink for $5 or some variation of this theme.  Some chain restaurants offer buy one meal and get one to take home. This can be done because a) pasta is a cheap meal for a restaurant to make, b) it's a great marketing campaign and c) people love free stuff.  We have equated bigger with better which isn't necessarily the case.

I recently dined at a small Italian restaurant in north Peoria. I'll be doing a review of this place but I will say it's the first place I've dined where I finished every morsel on my plate. Was it exceptionally good - yes.  Were the portions oversized - no. The food was delicious and the portion size was perfect.  I didn't have leftovers to sit in my refrigerator until trash day. The prices were right and I never felt as if I should have had more food. 

Years ago I worked as a server at Mortons Steakhouse. The food was the highest quality and delicious but the portion sizes were ridiculous. No one needs to eat a 48 ounce steak. I stopped dining there because I knew I wouldn't eat the majority of my meal. I understand they've downsized the menu to offer smaller portions. 

Overconsumption of food doesn't leave me feeling well. In fact, I feel horrible. As I age (a fact that I can't seem to escape but it's better than the alternative), I find that I want less food more frequently. It keeps my energy level higher and I'm still satisfied.  I wonder if we stopped stuffing ourselves with so much food if restaurants would follow the trend and waste less. Maybe we could all give it a try.

Remember to always drink responsibly and tip your bartender and servers.

Happy Trails,
Leslie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller