Breakfast Cups Recipe by L. A. Keller



Since my last recipe was for a dessert, I resisted the urge to include another.  Instead I'm giving you one which can be used as a party appetizer or for any meal. These are best right out of the oven but they heat up well.  I like to make a batch and then re-heat for breakfast when I'm in a rush to grab something filling. Since Wild Bronco Steakhouse (the fictional restaurant in my books, doesn't serve breakfast, I'm imagining this was prepared for a catered event (such as when Jayne worked a party for the Mayor of Cave Creek) as these travel well.

I created this recipe from a combination of several mini frittatas and added my own twists. The great thing about this recipe is that you really can't mess it up. 

Breakfast Cups aka Almost Quiche

8 large eggs - I use 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites
1 can refrigerator croissant rolls or large biscuits
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup chopped onion *
1-2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup reduced fat ham. Canadian Bacon, regular bacon or prosciutto cooked until very crispy or cooked shredded chicken also work well.
1/3 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese. **
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
Other herbs as you desire ***
Black pepper and salt to taste
Cooking spray

*I do not include this because I can't eat onion or onion powder. 
**I use whatever I have handy. Sometimes feta, sometimes a combination of parmesan, feta and cheddar - any cheese you like works with eggs.
*** Sometimes I will toss in a dash of other herbs such as sage, oregano, basil (fresh or dried).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray 24 full-sized muffin cups with cooking spray.
Roll out the croissant rolls or biscuits on a floured surface.
Cut circles out of the dough large enough to fit the muffin cups at least half way up the sides.
Press the dough into the muffin cups.

If including the onion, sauté until tender in the butter or use the cooking spray to keep it light.
If using bacon or prosciutto, cook until crisp.
If using chicken, make sure it's fully cooked and shredded.

In a large bowl, whisk the whole eggs and egg whites until mixed.
Whisk in the milk, cheese, meat and herbs. 
Pour the mixture into the dough lined muffin cups to about 2/3 full. Be careful not to overfill as the egg mixture will puff up as it bakes.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until the egg mixture puffs and is set in the center. Ovens may vary so keep an eye on the baking. It's okay of they brown lightly on the top.
Cool slightly and then remove the egg bites to a rack to cool if not serving immediately.
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator and reheat in a toaster over or in the microwave. 

I find they are better when heated in the toaster oven but not bad from the microwave.  

You could serve these for dinner with a side salad or for breakfast with some fresh fruit.


Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller