Super Short Story by L. A. Keller

The blurb below is from my critique group writing prompt. I'll see what I can come up with in 250 words or less.

Note Found at a Construction Site: You're a construction worker and, while in the middle of a dig to build a new building, you stumble upon a box with contents in it. There are five very specific items in it along with a note: "When you find this, call me. This is only phase one." There is a phone number so you call it. What happens next?


I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and dialed the number. I didn't expect anyone to answer but after only two rings a voice that brought Marilyn Monroe to my mind answered.


"I've been waiting for your call."

"Look, my crew dug up a box with a note to call this number. I'm not sure who you are expecting but I don't think it was me."

"On the contrary, I knew it would be you."

I sputtered out a simple minded, "Huh?"

"Do you notice anything familiar about the objects in the box?"

I dug around through the contents. A book of matches from Johnny's Pub, a local dive bar with only one match left; broken fingernail clippers which were so tiny as to be used on a baby's nails; a plastic half empty bottle of 81 mg aspirin; a lipstick with what appeared to be bite marks and a flash drive. None of it made any sense to me.

"Look lady, you have the wrong guy. I don't know what game you're playing but I've got a full crew here and no time for this."

Before I hit disconnect I heard her sobbing.  Damn, I hated it when a woman cried.

===================================

What do you think happens next? This is the part of storytelling I love the most because as the writer I don't know either!



Happy Trails,

Leslie

Leslie's Website     Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller