Book Review - A Good Man for an Outlaw by Jonathan Eaton by L. A. Keller

This is the first time I have ever read a Western. Which, if you've read my mysteries, you know my character Jayne grew on up watching Westerns - movies and television series.  What Jayne did, so did her creator. I still watch old re-runs of Bonanza and Big Valley. I read this book for another author and I really wanted to like it.  I didn't - I loved it and I don't believe that is due to my pre-existing love of the genre.

The story is told by a cowboy, an outlaw actually, who is dead. He knows he's dead, and who killed him, but at first realizing he is dead is a surprise. In order to get around he 'dog paddles' through the air. That might sound odd but when you read the story, there is no way you cannot picture this in your head. As each character's story unfolds you are drawn deeper into the story.  To say the author painted his character's with a masterful stroke would not be an overstatement.

As much as I loved the writing, I also did not like the formatting. I can only guess that the author was attempting to impart the feeling of a story told around a campfire. I get it but it made the book very difficult to read and sometimes I had to go back and re-read sentences to figure out who was speaking. It detracted from the experience without adding to the story.

My only other criticism is that the story ended abruptly. I expected a conclusion or at least the kind of cliff hanger that tells me there is another book in this series.

Despite those two negatives, this was an entertaining book that I found difficult to put down.



Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website

Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller