Jayne's next adventure - a teaser by L. A. Keller

I have a long way to go and a short time to get there to quote the old song from Smokey and the Bandit (yes I'm old enough to remember when that came out in the movies!).  Despite that I thought it would be fun to post a very early draft of the next Jayne Stanford mystery.  It's more than likely that this will change and could even be removed but you will have seen where my thought process is going for what is tentatively titled, No Reservations.


No Reservations



            “Jayne, what is the first thing you think of when I say snow?”

            “Let me think. Growing up on the eastern shore of Maryland we never got much snow but when we did it was no school snow days, cold toes and my mom putting about fifteen layers of clothes on me before I could waddle out the door.”

            “Okay, let’s try that again. Can you picture yourself zooming down the slopes, sun glistening off the fresh powder, riding in a horse drawn sleigh, toasting marshmallows over an open fire?”

            I laughed, “Seriously, Bailey do you picture someone as clumsy as me zooming down anything?  I’m more likely to roll down like a massive snowball.”

            There was a ten second pause while my best friend contemplated my words. “How about wrapped in a warm blanket, bells jingling on the harness of a sleigh drawn by two dappled gray Percheron horses?”

            “You know if horses are involved I love it but, unless you’re making snow in your yard, it might be hard to experience that in our little town of Cave Creek. I haven’t seen more than a dusting on the coldest day of winter in this part of Arizona. What’s up?”

            “One of my clients has given me a four day trip to Tabernash, Colorado.  Fabulous accommodations at a resort, spa treatments, great food and of course, all the other perks I mentioned.”

            “That sounds wonderful. Do you need me to watch over your rescue animals while you’re gone.” Bailey took in every stray animal within fifty miles of her small farm and I was her designated babysitter whenever she traveled for business. Besides that she was fostering Jenny, a teenager whose mother died unexpectedly while trying to help me clear my name from a murder rap.

            “Actually I was hoping you would go with me. I can fly into Denver but the resort is about two hours from the airport.”

            For reasons Bailey had never divulged she wouldn’t drive. Asking her why was always on the tip of my tongue but I suspected it was a traumatic experience that she didn’t want to relive. I hoped a two hour drive wouldn’t give her a nervous breakdown. Not that my driving isn’t safe but sometimes I can be a little heavy on the gas pedal and I could see her griping the armrest.

            “If you’re offering me a four day vacation at a resort, I’m in!”

            “Luckily, Jenny can watch the animals and she’s old enough to stay home alone for a few days.”

            “When we do leave?”

            “I checked with the resort and they’re going to be booked solid for Thanksgiving but they do have an opening if we can leave in two days. I can put some of my jobs on hold but I’ll bring my laptop.”

            “Hold on, I better make sure I can get my shifts covered at the restaurant first.” I bit my lip trying to remember how much cash was left in my bank account after paying rent and buying a month’s supply of food for my old kitty, Bugsy. “How much money will I need to bring?”

            “Nothing, silly girl. It’s all expenses paid which includes airfare.”

            “Wow, that’s some generous client. I wish I had regulars who tipped like that.”

            “I was surprised when the email came but I did prevent a major scandal by writing software that closed some security openings they had in their accounting system.”

            “Who was it? Tell me it wasn’t one of my favorite discount stores.”

            Bailey laughed, “You know I can’t tell you that.”

            I mentally considered the limited number of servers who owed me favors. “I’m off Sunday and Monday so if we can go then, I’ll only need to get two shifts covered if we’re back on Thursday. I’m sure Arlene would love to keep Bugsy for me.”

            “It’s a strange relationship that you and your neighbor share custody of your cat but apparently it works out for you both.”

            “I swear she spoils that cat rotten. At least I never have to worry about him when he’s with her and he doesn’t get lonely if I’m working long hours or with Jonas.”

            Sunday morning found Bailey and me seated in first class with glasses of Champagne in hand.

                   *********************************************************
Happy Trails,
Leslie
Leslie's Website     Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller