Inspiration is it fact or fiction

Do you ever wonder as you read a new book what inspired the author to create the characters? When considering mysteries, especially those with murder, do you ask yourself what kind of person loves to find new ways to murder the bad guys?

I can't speak to anyone other than myself on this topic, but I suspect many authors are the same. It's our every day lives that inspire us. Any event or person may incite a storyline in my mind which may then wander on to the pages of my next book. It may be something as innocuous as a person I pass by on a hike or as dramatic as my favorite cowboy bar in Cave Creek, Arizona burning down. As an author I try to absorb the life that happens around me like a lazy cat laying in a spot of sunshine. I bask in it, stretch my mental limbs out and relish every moment to be recalled later when I'm sitting down at the keyboard.

A person who is especially rude or obnoxious may kindle a new murder victim (yes, keep that in mind if you are around mystery writers). A kind face may add a dimension to someone I am developing. An example, is my recent day as a volunteer serving Thanksgiving dinner to those less fortunate. The men who passed through my line all had a million stories in their eyes. The years of struggle showed on their bodies but the gratitude and gentleness came through their souls and made me want to give more. I'm sure at least one of them will be present in a future book.

Think about what inspires you to acts of kindness or courage as you go through your day. Do you watch a crisis on the news and decide to make a change? It can be as simple as holding the elevator door to someone or as monumental as marching for peace or equality.

Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website:


My boy Drake soaking up his inspiration for the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller