Book Review - When You Were Older by Catherine Ryan Hyde

This is the second book I've read by this author and it will not be the last. I love her writing style, her characters and voice. She grabs me on the first page and lingers with me after I've read the last. I can't believe I hadn't heard of her before - even though she should be well known as the author of the book-to-movie "Pay it Forward".

This story begins with Rusty who worked in the World Trade Center but was late for work the day the towers came down due to the terrorist attacks. Saved by a phone call at the last minute advising him that his mother had passed away unexpectedly he watches as the towers fall.

If that event was not traumatic enough, he has lost his mother and now is responsible for his brain damaged brother, Ben. Leaving everything behind in New Jersey he goes home to his small town to try to bury his mother and deal with his brother.

Unexpectedly he meets the local baker Nazir and his daughter Anat, who are Egyptian. I remember how some people in the United States reacted after the Trade Center attacks. Young men joined the military, people suddenly became patriotic and many developed unwarranted fear of anyone who looked Middle Eastern.

Catherine weaves many stories into this one with artistic flare. You feel what her characters feel and you weep when they weep. You are compelled to keep turning pages to determine what might happen next.

Read this book when you want to leave your own life behind. You won't be able to put it down until the last page has been turned.

Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller