To book club or not to book club

Even though my writing has been put on hold, due to a shattered right wrist, I have been able to meet with a number of local book clubs. I'm delighted that they have expressed an interest in reading Menu for Murder.

I didn't realize there were so many different groups within thirty miles of where I live until my book came out. The majority seem to be attended by women, but there are a few men scattered in for good measure. They read serious literature, women's fiction, biographies and even a cozy mystery, or two.

I have only been part of one book club, which sad to say recently disbanded. I loved the opportunity to find out what other readers thought of a book. Did we all love it or hate it. Did they find things in the story that I missed (yes!)?  Did other readers like the same character traits as I did?

From an author's perspective, being involved in a book club was invaluable. I was able to hear what made the readers want to read more of a character and what turned them off about a character. I hope that I incorporate their feedback into my writing and I'm excited to hear the feedback from the groups who have read Menu for Murder.

If you can find a book club in your area join it. If there isn't one, start one. And if that doesn't work then there just might be an online group you can share your thoughts with. I think you will find it enriches your reading experience. Then invite the author to join you!

Happy trails, Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller