Jayne's Restaurant Review - The Arrogant Butcher by L. A. Keller

It just happens that I've dined at two of the Fox Restaurant Concepts restaurants in less than a month.  Thanks to a very generous friend who sent me a gift certificate I decided to try The Arrogant Butcher in downtown Phoenix. 

I was concerned that this location would not have convenient parking. I don't go downtown very often and I know parking can be limited. Fortunately, there wasn't a basketball game happening, nor any other major events, and there is a parking garage around the corner. If you go, be sure to get your ticket validated to save on parking.

I was also lucky to have gotten a reservation for three at 5:30 on a Saturday night, during peak season in Arizona.  Originally, I tried an online reservation but the only table I was offered was on the patio. Since we've had unusually cold weather, that wasn't an option. However, when I called the restaurant, there was an inside table available.

The restaurant wasn't busy when we arrived but soon filled up. It is surprisingly spacious inside and has a small patio area on the street side.

My friends and I started with oysters on the half shell, the small side salad and the goat brie.  The oysters and salads were good but the bread which was served with the brie was not toasted and was very dry. The server didn't explain the cherry marmalade that came with it so I didn't try it until after the cheese was gone.

For dinner we all ordered the same entree - the 12 ounce New York strip steak. I had the loaded baked potato and tried the Brussels sprouts. I added on half pound of king crab legs and asked for them to be steamed and served with melted butter. The sprouts were good but mine are better.

The steaks ordered as medium were closer to a medium rare, the baked potatoes were warm but not hot. The food runner warned us the plates would be too hot too touch but they were cold. I suspect our food sat longer than it should have. Despite those issues, the service was good and the flavor of the steak was outstanding. The presentation left a little to be desired as illustrated by the photos I took shown below.

For dessert two of us shared the Sticky Toffee Pudding. It was delicious but a smaller portion than most restaurants serve.  Perfect for one but slightly small for two.

I will definitely keep this on my list of great downtown restaurants. It was more food than I could eat but I enjoyed the leftovers the next night. Next time I will be prepared and my expectations will be higher for steaming hot food.





The Arrogant Butcher


Remember to always drink responsibly and tip your bartender and servers.

Happy Dining,

Jayne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller