Indian Relay the most exciting race by L. A. Keller




Photos from https://www.sheridanwyorodeo.com



I recently watched a nature show on PBS about horses. It was fascinating and made me miss riding on a regular basis. Unless you have a love of horses you may not fully grasp the connection between a human and horse. Their intelligence is amazing and their capacity for affection never ending. When I had my horse Wistful Morning, a gorgeous sixteen-hand chestnut, he would come from the field when I whistled.  Each morning he would hang his head outside his stall and give a deep whinny for his breakfast. I will never forget that sight or the love we shared. I thought nothing of tossing my younger sisters on his back with only a halter and no saddle. He was as gentle as he was strong.

But I digress. If you have read my prior posts, you know I’m not a lover of rodeo. I consider many of the events to be cruel to the animals forced to participate. However, there are some which I find delightful and illustrate the agility and talent of both horse and rider. So when I saw the segment on the Black Foot tribe of Canada and their participation in an event called Indian Relay I was enthralled.

In this event, which is essentially a race, the rider switches horses - twice. The first over the finish line without penalty wins, which makes it appear to be an easy task. However, these riders are bareback and must vault onto the waiting horse and gallop from a standstill to win.  It requires a high level of athleticism for both the horse and rider.
Horse racing can be exciting on a regular track with jockeys all fighting for the rail position. Jockeys are considered by many to be the supreme athlete. No other sport that I know of involves a human who needs to control a thousand pound animal practically flying over the ground - in the rain, over the grass or in the mud and make lightening quick decisions that might have dire consequences for himself, his animal or another horse and rider. As these jockeys have high tech saddles and equipment. Not so with the Native American riders who participate in the relay.

Both horse and rider are adorned according to their Tribe’s tradition, some in full head dress and some with more modern attire but still painted. I have read that this tradition goes back approximately four hundred years and originated with the Tribes of the Great Plains. *(source noted below)

The first horse stands on the track and when the gun goes off, the rider must vault onto his back and gallop as fast as he can around the track. I have galloped a horse at full speed but never bareback with only the strength of my legs to hang on. This requires extreme skill and practice.

It's on my bucket list to see this in person. What a thrill to experience the magic which happens between these dedicated horsemen and their horses.

I use the term ‘cowboy’ loosely to define a lifestyle, a movie genre, or a persona. To me it isn’t only about the man or woman who herds cattle but rather about an art form and the link between nature and humans. It describes culture from the Old West but also today and a way for us to keep part of our history alive.

http://www.horsenationsrelay.com/

* https://centerofthewest.org/2017/07/06/indian-relay-extreme-sport-of-the-plains/

Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller