Tom's Thumb the best hike by L. A. Keller

I make no secret of my love for Arizona - the weather is amazing, the desert speaks to me and I find I've never been happier than when I'm here.  When time permits and the sun isn't toasting me to the extreme you can find me walking or hiking through the desert.  This is a hike up Tom's Thumb in the McDowell Mountains and is one of my favorite places.







To get here you can take the long route from the Gateway loop in the McDowell Mountain park. That trek is more than eight miles one way. If you want to cheat just a little, drive around to the north side of the mountain and hike it from there. Be forewarned that the road to the parking area can be rough so don't drive a car with low clearance. You will still get a difficult hike but without having the same distance. The trek is worth the effort as the views on the path to the summit are almost as fantastic as the peak itself. Bring plenty of water because none is available on the route.


Happy Trails,

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller