Jayne's Restaurant Review - The Sicilian Butcher by L. A. Keller

I have found a new passion and it's called 'sicilan-style' bruschetta. In fact, I'm so in love with one combination in particular I made two trips to the restaurant in less than a week to savor the deliciousness.  The Sicilian Butcher is located in Phoenix on an unassuming corner of a small shopping area. I suspect I drove by it a time or two without even noticing it. That, in itself is a surprise because both nights I've been the restaurant has been popping.

The restaurant's specialty is meatballs. You can order the style, the sauce and the bottom.  Meatballs vary from the meatiest (veal, beef and pork) to vegetarian (eggplant). The portions are decent and the prices are not outrageous. Following many other local establishments, the interior is basic and modern with a sizeable garage door which opens to one of the two patio areas. The outside tables have awnings, lights strung above and misters. I would guess interior seating to max out around 100 guests as most of the tables are well spaced. The bar seats only eight inside and is part of the restaurant area so it's not conducive to 'parking' on the seats for the evening. They do not take reservations so be prepared to go early or wait.

The first time I dined, my friend and I both ordered wine by the glass. The price for any glass is $10 which isn't bad but could be better during happy hour. Sadly the only happy hour offered is if you are seated at the bar. There you can find wines for $5. This one fact may be my only disappointment in the restaurant.  We started with one each of four bruschetta:  Smoked blue cheese aioli, tomato, arugula and bresaola; ricotta, prosciutto, honey and hazelnut; whipped goat cheese, roasted peppers and herb pesto; tomato, basil, garlic and e.v.o.o.  My one true love was the blue cheese version.  Perfectly toasted bread with the exact correct amount of toppings. I have divorced the whipped goat cheese simply because I don't like peppers and the flavor was quite strong.

For dinner we tried one Schiacciata (flatbread) of grilled pesto chicken and the Uncle Arthur's N.Y. Meatballs with Marinara and Saffron Risotto. On my second trip I tried a simple pasta dish of Paccheri pasta with the Parmigiano Cream Sauce. I also made my friend try the eggplant meatballs. The flatbread was good, the pasta dishes very good but each time the pasta has been on the under done side of al dente. When re-heated it was perfect. On my next trip, and there will be a next trip, I will definitely ask that my pasta be cooked for an additional two minutes.








https://www.thesicilianbutcher.com/craft-meatballs/



Remember to always drink responsibly and tip your bartender and servers.

Happy Dining,

Jayne




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller