Desert Dreams Conference

In June, I attended the Arizona Desert Dreams Writer's Conference which was organized by the Desert Rose chapter of the Romance Writers of America. Although I do not write romance I always try to attend this four day conference. 

This year included a very notable writer from Arizona - Diana Gabaldon.  I am probably one of the few people who had never read any of her work, nor had I watched the series based on her Outlander series.  Having just completed the massive 900+ novel on Lyndon Johnson, I wasn't sure I was ready to jump into the first book in her series which comes in around 800+ pages.  Having heard her speak I knew I had to read it.

Back to the conference itself.  The sessions presented by a trauma surgeon and a stand up comedian were fantastic.  You may wonder why a comedian would be at a writers conference but everyone has to write their material.  Since I love a bit of humor mixed in with my murder (on the page, of course), this session got my mind churning with amazing tips.  I was also quite happy that my stabbing victim in the second book was accurate according to the presenter.

This conference also gives writers an opportunity to meet with agents and editors. Even though I'm happy with independent publishing, it was nice to hear feedback from the agent I met with.

All in all, a writers conference is a great way to get my motivation back on track and learn more about the craft.  I can't wait for August when the Sisters In Crime chapter has their conference.


Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website

Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller