Jayne's Restaurant Review - Roy's @ the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge

Recently I had the opportunity to dine at Roy's restaurant at the J.W. Marriott at Desert Ridge. It was a birthday party for a friend and there were eight of us. 

First, let me say that this hotel is beautiful. The grounds are lovely, the lobby impressive and the staff friendly.  You descend a grand staircase down to the lower restaurant level where there is a bar and outside seating around fire pits. I can't wait for cooler weather to sit under the stars with a toasty fire and an adult beverage.  But I digress - back to the restaurant.

We were seated with a view of the open kitchen. Fortunately, it was not so loud that we couldn't have a conversation and we weren't overwhelmed with the clang of pots and pans. Our server was prompt and attentive and fun, without being intrusive.

I ordered the grilled Caesar salad starter, my friends had the crispy chicken spring rolls, calamari and Caterpillar roll.  My salad was perfect - not too much garlic or anchovy but the right amount of grill flavor. 

For dinner I had the braised short ribs, my friends had the steak and lobster tail, Roy's Trio mixed plate, seared sea scallops and grilled salmon.  My short ribs were delicious - tender falling apart, melt in your mouth yummy.  However, no one else at the table enjoyed their meals.  The scallops were reported as under cooked, the lobster tail undercooked, the steak barely warm (despite being medium) and the salmon greasy. 

For dessert my friend had a beautifully decorated plate with the hot chocolate 'souffle' which was really not a soufflĂ© at all but more of a warm chocolate center cake.  I had the Kaffir Lime Tart which was amazing.  With two glasses of wine, two salads, two entrees and one dessert our dinner came to $140.  I consider that a little higher than average.

I'm not sure my friends will want to dine there again but I am dreaming about those short ribs.

Remember to drink responsibly and always tip your bartender and servers.



Happy Dining,

Jayne

Visit Leslie's website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller