Making a Muddle - Jayne's Drinks 101

I thought it might be a good idea to include some basic bartending instructions along with the drink recipes I regularly post. So for this post I am going to instruct you on how to muddle. Although it would seem that muddling would come naturally to me, since I seem to muddle through my life it actually takes a few good tools to do it well.

Muddling means to mash together ingredients, such as herbs or fruit and sugar. If you do this correctly it blends the flavors together well for you cocktail.

First you need a good muddler, which is a small bowl, generally made of marble but you can do this in a glass if you have to.

Next you need a masher. This is also frequently made of marble. In a pinch you can use the back of a spoon to mash but it doesn't come out as well.

Drop your ingredients into the muddler and then press with the masher until everything is basically mush. So muddle + mash = mush.  You can then drop in ice cubes and pour your cocktail over the top. The result flavors the cocktail beautifully.

Remember to drink responsibly and always tip your servers and bartenders.

Cheers,

Jayne

Visit Leslie's website


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller