What's under the covers?

Until I had to think about my own book, I never really paid much attention to book covers in general - at least not consciously. In fact, it wasn't until a member of my critique group mentioned that she noticed a trend in covers using an angled design that I realized I needed to take notice. Now, I'm somewhat obsessed.

A trip to my local bookstore to review what was "hot" in cozies proved that there is a method to the madness. If I asked you what the cover of a romance novel would be I'm sure you could immediately call to mind a half dressed, hard-bodied man (perhaps with flowing blond locks of hair) holding in his arms a similarly half dressed maiden in distress. If I asked you what you would use for a murder mystery you might think of something involving blood or at least the color red.

The cozy mystery genre also uses a template of sorts for cover design. My personal research has shown that more than 80% are illustrated, as opposed to photographic. Generally they may include a drawing of where the mystery takes place - a coffee shop, a library, a cupcake bakery, etc. Even if there is a body on the cover, it still includes a touch of humor and again is usually illustrated.

I don't want to say cozy covers are cutesy but I must. It would be my one complaint with the genre that I love so dearly. Just because there is no graphic violence, does the cover HAVE to be silly? Can the reader not take the murder seriously without a dancing dog on the cover?

I enjoy reading something with a mystery and a touch of humor. Life is way to serious to not laugh at least ten times a day. It's one of the reasons I read and write cozy mysteries. I hope that the cover for Menu for Murder includes a little of both.

I wanted to include a book cover that I like, even though it doesn't provoke me to read the book. This is not a review of the book or the cover, as I selected this at random, simply because I love the cat on the cover.

Happy trails,

Leslie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller