Writing with romance

Tomorrow I'll be attending my first ever writing conference which is geared toward romance writers.  I don't consider myself a writer of romance, however I have found that many stories contain an element of romance.

Our lives revolve around our relationships whether they are considered romantic or otherwise.  We are certainly exposed to romance on a daily basis in advertising - after all, sex sells.  Many of the classics have romantic elements, think Jane Eyre, or maybe Steven King's Misery (albeit romance gone bad) and even Peanuts or Kermit and Miss Piggy.

When I say that I write mysteries and women's literature am I not also saying that I write romance?  My short story was titled Three Loves and a Wedding - that certainly involved romance.  My Jayne Stanford series includes a romance between the main character and at least one handsome man. 

So this leads me to question what exactly I am writing.  Am I a romance writer after all?  Or am I a romance writer who tries to disguise it by adding a mystery and a few dead bodies?

As I attend the conference over the next three days I hope I find an answer to my questions.  It may lead me down a path that I didn't intend to take or perhaps it will help me become a better writer of the genre to which I claim I am committed.

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller