When are you going to publish?

Menu for Murder has been completed for months and now I have to find a great editor.  I don't want a good one, I want a great one.  Someone who does this for a living but yet won't try to change my characters but rather tell me what I need to do to further enhance them.  Someone who can find my grammatical errors, which may be many, and make the difference between a story that is good and one that captures the reader.

In the meantime, I continue working my nine to five job so I can pay my bills.  I squeeze in lots of other fun stuff and spend time with my lovely group of ladies.  Invariably, however the conversation will touch upon my book and the question will be asked, "So, when are you going to publish it?" I try to bite my tongue and smile politely but inside I'm churning.  If it was so easy to write a full size manuscript and then just pop it off in the mail to a publisher, everyone would do it.  It if didn't require hours pulling characters out of my head and walking in their shoes for days at a time, maybe I wouldn't cringe.  If I could get the book published I would have done it already.

Don't get me wrong.  I have fantastic, amazing friends who are only being supportive and loving and I am thankful every day to have them in my life.  BUT, darn it, I want to be able to say, "Yes, it's going to be published!".  If it comes down to not publishing or self-publishing, I will self-publish.  It's not my dream and I don't want it to hinder my future work from possibly making it beyond the slush pile but if that is what it takes, then I'll do and grit my teeth.

In the meantime, I have decided to take the advice of the publisher I recently met at a conference and start on book 2 of Jayne's story.  I'll wrap up the short story and submit it to a few contests and then, who knows.  You may finally get a chance to read more than just an occasional excerpt.

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller