Book Review - Outlander: A Novel (Outlander, Book 1) by Diana Gabaldon

I avoided reading this series for years, despite the many recommendations of friends. I usually avoid science fiction, especially time travel/romance/science fiction crammed into one. To add to my dilemma, I had just completed reading a 900+ page biography on Lyndon B. Johnson.  Tackling another long read wasn't on my immediate to do list.

So what finally changed my mind?  I heard the author speak at an Arizona writer's conference. She was self-deprecating and funny. I decided at that moment to give her 800+ first book a glance. It's not a fast read but I was definitely drawn in and mesmerized by the characters.

There are a few spoilers in this review so be alerted in advance.

Set in the 1940's and 1740's we meet Claire, married to Frank who visits Scotland with her historian husband.  She says, "They were garrulous and gossipy, and their solid, print-clad presences filled the shops with a cozy warmth; a buttress against the cold mist of the morning outdoors."  Great lines like these make me stop and soak them up.

Claire is a nurse who mended many soldiers on the battle field. She is a hardy woman with a strong sense of herself. No matter what is thrown in her direction, she manages to remain with her sanity in tact. Early on in the story, she walks into a stone circle and passes through time into the past.  What happens after that is a tale of war, strife, hardship and love.

There comes a point in the story where she is given the chance to try to return to her life and her husband Frank. At that moment, she chooses to remain with her new love, husband Jamie and continue on a journey with him. Despite her love of Frank she has a connection to Jamie and the trials they share.

In the climax, there are a few scenes which are difficult to read but the author gives us some resolution. The story ends at a point where the reader could be finished. I thought I was but, after a short respite to read a light Catherine Ryan Hyde book, I was back into the midst of Scotland, Claire and Jamie once again.







Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website

Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller