Super Short Story - I'm no Hero

I’m no Hero

            I tested the wind velocity. Today was the day. No other options existed. If the mission didn’t move forward, then the fate of the world was out of my control.
            A hoarse chuckle escaped my lips as I contemplated the use of such old fashioned technology.  Despite that, I knew my adversary wouldn’t expect me to arrive via a gigantic flying toad. I gave a nod and, after releasing the tie-downs, my partner Johnson leapt into the basket.
            I opened the propane valve and we rose swiftly. Johnson secured himself in the corner of the basket, hands pressed over his eyes. Heights petrified him and I knew he would soon be drenched in a cold sweat.
            “You know if I had another way to do this I would.” I nudged him with my boot.
            “Yeah, I know. Doesn’t make this part any easier.”
            The wind, as if sensing the urgency, moved us speedily over terrain which would have taken hours to traverse on foot. This country was mountainous and the element of surprise would have certainly been lost.
            “Are you ready?”
            “You asked me that ten times. As ready as I’ll ever be.”
            “Ten minutes to target.”
            Johnson stood, wiped the sweat from his face and checked the vial in his pocket.
            “Let’s do this.”
            It’s been nice knowing you.” I shook his hand. Then released the parachute valve to drop the balloon lower.

            Johnson climbed onto the side of the basket and with a final wave, jumped. As soon as he did I hit the tanks to rise.  I might survive the explosion but Johnson certainly wouldn’t. Either way, I saluted him and prayed he hit the mark and our adversary would be incinerated before he released his Trons on the planet.

Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller