World's Oldest Continuous Rodeo

In Arizona in the small town of Payson is the world's oldest continuous rodeo. Payson is less than a two hour drive from the Phoenix metro area. Held August 17th to the 19th, it's the 133rd year this event has been held.

Rodeo personifies the history of the west with bull riding, calf roping, barrel racing and, of course, the rodeo clowns. This event is sanctioned by the PRCA (Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association) which totals more than $50,000 in prize money.

Personally, although I love most things associated with the old west, the rodeo stretches the limits of what I enjoy as entertainment.  The ASPCA is opposed to all rodeo events that involve cruel, painful, stressful and potentially harmful treatment of animals, not only in performance but also in handling, transport and prodding to perform.  Many in the rodeo circuit will say their animals are treated with care but I do object to bull riding and bronc riding. Causing an animal discomfort in order for him to buck seems cruel to me.  However, barrel racing, team penning and events which showcase the amazing agility of horses is on my list of favorites.

Although I used the term 'rodeo clowns', to be current and politically correct these men and women are now referred to as bullfighters or rodeo protection athletes. I can't get that last term to stick in my head!

Whether you enjoy the rodeo or not much can be said for the consistency that this event has maintained for over 133 years.



Happy Trails,

Leslie


Visit my website

Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller