Deluxe Baked Cheesecake by L. A. Keller



My readers have been asking me to include recipes in my books. Since the Wild Bronco Steakhouse only exists in my imagination, there are no actual recipes to include. However, I have many of my own recipes which I think would work in the restaurant.  As part of my regular posts, I will be including at least one new recipe every month.

This is a recipe I've used for years which was modified from an original in my Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook copyright in 1980. I'm amazed I've had this cookbook for so many years and I still use it for some of my favorites.

Here is my version of their original recipe.

13.5 ounce package Graham Cracker Crumbs
5 - 8 ounce packages of cream cheese (you can lighten the recipe slightly by using reduce or fat free cream cheese
1 3/4 cups sugar (plus sugar for the crust as specified on the box)
3 tablespoons flour
2 egg yolks
5 whole eggs
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon grated orange peel - optional, I usually leave this out
2 lemons - grated peel from both, One squeeze of the juice of one
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.

Prepare the graham cracker crust according to the package directions and press into the bottom and part way up the sides of a springform pan.  If you prefer your crust to go all the way to the top of the sides you will need an extra box depending on the size of you springform pan.

In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
Slowly beat in the sugar.
With mix at low speed, beat in 3 tablespoons of flour.
Add remaining ingredients.
Beat at high speed five minutes.
Pour cheese mixture into the springform pan.
Bake for 12 minutes.
Turn the oven down to 300 degrees and bake for another 35 minutes.
Turn off the oven but leave the cheesecake inside for 30 more minutes.
Remove and cool on a rack.

To serve:  Remove the side of the pan.  You can put the bottom on a serving plate without removing the entire cake.

You can top with sour cream, whipped cream cherry or blueberry pie filling as you like.  Personally, I serve these on the side and allow guests to garnish their own piece.

The trick to this cheesecake is to make sure you leave it in the oven until it's completely done.  Insert a knife in the center at the end. If it comes out wet you may need to adjust the cooking based on your oven. If you must, turn the oven back on to 300 degrees and let it cook a few more minutes.


Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller