Rodeo and PETA by L. A. Keller

I grew up dreaming of cowboys and the lore of the Wild West. As a young girl, John Wayne, Tex Ritter and Roy Rogers all rode off into the sunset with my heart.  I still love them and the old shows but I've grown up and I'm an animal lover. I don't throw paint on people wearing fur but I would never wear it and I don't condone it or anything that exposes an animal to harm.

I've owned and ridden horses, raised cattle and chickens and tried to treat them all humanely. Our chickens lived in a large pen and had a clean place to roost before 'free-range' was in vogue. My horse was loved and cared for and, I like to think, happy. Our cattle had names, we bottle fed some and, even though they did eventually become someone's dinner, they were treated with kindness while in my family's care.

I've been to the rodeo several times but I don't find enjoyment in it. Yes, it takes a brave, or crazy, person to climb on a bull weighing almost a ton. Many will say the rodeo animals are treated well and they are doing a job. Despite that, the bucking action is induced in what would normally be a gentle animal. Cattle aren't angry by nature, nor are horses. A strap is placed around the groin area of the bull or horse and tightened.  This causes the animal to buck in order to relieve the discomfort.

According to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), animals may be shocked in order to 'encourage' them to exit the chute quickly.  Roping a calf and slamming it to the ground is not pleasurable to the calf. It is a terrifying experience at the hands of a human. Animals forced to participate in rodeo events have been maimed and died as a result of injuries. National events may highlight the beauty of the animals and claim that champions are well treated but many animals are used in small local rodeos and horribly mistreated.  Imagine yourself forced to perform an act for your survival - brings to mind the Gladiators of Rome.

There are events in which animals are used without the same dire consequences. Barrel racing horses are highly trained to sprint around three barrels in a timed event. Team penning moves cattle with the skill of a team of riders who are perfectly in sync with their horses - no lasso ropes are involved.  Pole bending is a skill where the horse and rider weave around six poles arranged in a line. Reining events showcase dressage-like moves executed on horseback. These events illuminate the talent of the horse and rider without abuse.

I rarely promote my personal beliefs but in the case of the rodeo, I beg you not to support it. Don't attend the local bull-riding events. Don't spend your money on something which puts an animal at risk or in harm's way.  If enough people speak against the cruel rodeo events, change will come.

For more information, follow this link to PETA:  Peta & Rodeo

Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller