Time travel - past, present and future

I recently read a mystery which was set in the 1940's. I didn't enjoy it - not because the story wasn't decent  - but more because I had a difficult time relating to the characters. Not only was the story set in a different country, than the one I reside, but it was set years before I was born. This makes me think of comments made by a friend about the Sue Grafton Kinsey Millhone series. She hated reading them because it bugged her that Kinsey had to find a pay phone. There weren't cell phones in the 1980's when that series was written.  So I have to wonder if mystery readers prefer a certain time period for our mysteries.

I will read an occasional historical novel. I don't seek them out, but if someone refers an especially good book, then I will read it. I have been known to read science fiction, especially those set in the future (okay and maybe the entire Twilight series). But as a rule, I like my mysteries to be current. To me the characters are more real. It's easier to pour myself into the setting, regardless of whether it is a place in which I'm familiar or not.

I would like to know what you prefer. Do you enjoy being swept back in time to when detectives used only their brains to solve the crime? Do you want to be transported into the future and leave today in the past? Or do you prefer living in the moment?

Happy trails,

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller