Writing what you know

On the eve of breast cancer awareness month I am thinking about the old saying - write what you know. As a breast cancer survivor with two others in my family (sadly as I lost one of my sistesr in January to this disease), this is something I know.  I know what it is to be a survivor myself as well as a family member to someone with the disease. Does that mean I should write about it?

When I was first diagnosed I didn't talk about it at all.  I didn't want people to know I was "sick".  I didn't want sympathy.  I wanted to kick its butt, move on with my life and never think about it again. Ha, that was a silly notion.

Just past my one year anniversary I walked the Komen 3-day 60 mile walk.  To say it changed my life is an understatement.  Cancer didn't change me but sharing it did.  I talked about my cancer and learned about other people's experiences.  Months of training and then a very concentrated three days of talking and sharing.  To this day I'm still talking about it.

Should I write about this disease?  It seems to me as if I don't have a choice. I am compelled to share my story and to listen to the story of other survivors and their families.  However I share I believe it helps someone.  Someone experiencing the disease who needs to know that you can survive it. You will come out on the other side a new person.

Periodically over the next month of posts I will share some of my story here with you. I hope it shines a light on this disease for you.

Happy trails,

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller