Write 2014 Desert Sleuths Writing Conference, Part Four

In my final installment from the Desert Sleuths, Write 2014 writing conference I will review what our last speaker covered in Mastering Crime Fiction:  A Whodunit How-To.

Author Tim Hallinan discussed "Where Do I Go From Here:  Getting to the finish line".  You've been writing and working on your novel for what seems like an eternity.  How do you finish?  Or do you ever really finish - that must be the topic of another post!

Tim tells us to first write what we love to read.  I think this is good advice and common sense.  I can't imagine trying to write something that I wouldn't enjoy reading myself.  After all I am going to read my own work about one million times before someone else sees it.  I better like the genre at least.

Tim also reiterated what the other speakers discussed:

1.  Make a place that I can write without interruption.
2.  Make a commitment to write every day or at least on a schedule you can stick to.
3.  Be open to my imagination and to what my characters are telling me.

He recommends looking at your story from the viewpoint of another character.  If you are at a point where you feel stuck, stop and try writing it from another angle.  Maybe look through the eyes of a secondary character and find out where that may take you.  If you are writing first person, take a step back and think about what someone other than your main character may observe.  This perspective may help you get beyond the point that is strangling you.

One of my favorite things Tim said was that if he hits a point where he absolutely can't move beyond he writes in all capital letters, RHUBARB.  It's easy for him to go back later and search for any place where he has that word and he knows he will never, ever use it on purpose.  I haven't come up with my word yet but I love this idea and have already used it in a place where I wanted to move forward and didn't want my workflow to be held back by a section that wasn't coming.

I hope my notes from the writing conference have brought you some insight into the road blocks you may have experienced.

Happy trails,

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller