Dear Author

As an author have you ever wondered what your characters might say to you if given the opportunity?  Do you know your characters well enough to take the chance?

As I developed my protagonist in Menu for Murder, (Jayne Stanford) I learned more and more about her.  Jayne has become a very real person in my mind and I believe I could have a conversation with her, should she decide to pop off the pages and perhaps join me for dinner sometime. 

Jayne:  "So nice of you to finally invite me out."

Leslie:  "I felt it was time we met in person and I've taken the liberty of ordering your dinner."

Jayne:  "I'm sure you know all of my favorites but be aware that if you mess this up you'll need to go back to page 167 and do some re-writes."

Actually I wouldn't expect the conversation to be anything similar to what I've written above but posting that did give me a laugh. 

Jayne is a piece of me as well as a conglomeration of many of my women friends.  I hope that my characters become so real to my readers that they too would feel as if they are not simply a cardboard cutout but rather a living, breathing person. 

I'm sure Jayne and I would be great friends but if I am wrong I will definitely go back and do some re-writes!

Leslie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller