Writing at a young age

My niece, who just turned thirteen, is an avid reader.  It makes sense because she comes from a family of readers.  Both of her parents love to read, as do her Aunts and Uncle and her grandmother (my mom).  What is exciting to me is that at her age she also loves to write. 

When I was younger than her I wrote my first short stories.  They were about horses and young girls and summer camp.  They reflected my very limited world view and although I can't remember much about them now, I think they were rather rudimentary.

Hannah writes about a lady who loves fashion and her exotic shoe collection.  She writes fantasy and suspense.  Every one of her short stories I have read I have fallen in love with.  Not just because I am her Aunt but because for her age she writes amazingly well. 

Her latest composition stunned me and led me to enter her in a writing competition.  It is the story of a lady who lived her life alone until the day she finds real love.  I am overwhelmed that someone so young has such a profound understanding of what it's like to grow old and realize what you have missed in life. 

I'm proud (as you probably have guessed) but more than that I am inspired.  She makes me remember why I love to write and she rejuvenates me.

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller