Rescue a Guinea Pig by L. A. Keller



March is Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig month. Honestly, I never thought anyone would adopt a guinea pig and then give it up. They are such small, easy to care for pets that I expected people would love them for their short little lives.  Wrong again!

My research indicates that guinea pigs can live anywhere from four to ten years. Guinea pigs need more care than I knew. Never having had one, I assumed they simply stayed in their cage and were happy. I'm embarrassed by my ignorance.  They need a decent sized enclosure provides a secure but well ventilated space, several hours a day to play outside of their enclosure, fresh fruit and vegetables and gentle care from their human.

As with any pet there may be an adjustment period when the pig first arrives in your home. Personally, I wouldn't recommend any pet for a small child due to the danger for both the pet and child.  Rough handling could cause the pet to react with a bite. According to the Guinea Lynx website, a child can literally squeeze a guinea to death. 

It was difficult for me to locate rescues in Arizona but I am including a link to organizations across the country.

Remember any time you decide to bring a pet into your home, it's a commitment for the life of that animal.  Research the pet's needs before adopting to ensure you have the appropriate environment and can provide the love and care that pet deserves. Abandonment can traumatize an animal.




Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller