I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After - Part Five by L. A. Keller

“I gave up on happily ever after. Maybe I'm not cut out for a relationship. Maybe, I just don't like being committed to one person for longer than two weeks.”

Part Five

“I thought I’d hang around and wait for the owner to sell me some of those delicious greens,” she said with a chuckle.

Wyatt let his eyes roam over her from head to toes and back again. “I supposed it isn’t necessary to say you look different.”

“A lot has changed since I’ve seen you.” She nodded in Charlotte’s direction. “It seems like you’ve had a few changes as well.”

“Charlotte, this is Daddy’s best friend, Clare. I knew her when I was a boy younger than you are now.”

Charlotte considered this for moment and then held out a chocolate smeared hand.

Clare hesitated before accepting a delicate handshake. “Nice to meet you Charlotte.”

“Are you mommy’s friend too?”

“No, she never met mommy,” Wyatt responded quickly. “Now go wash your hands. We’ve taken up enough of Mae’s time and made a mess of her kitchen in record time.”

“Nonsense, there’s nothing that warms my heart more than seeing someone enjoy my baking.”

“All the same, we only stopped by to show you the dress. Charlotte and I both have chores to get done at home.”

Mae took a pot out of the refrigerator. “I made up some extra chicken and dumplings for you to take home. All you need to do is put these on the stove for a bit to heat through.  I know your momma has her hands full caring for your daddy and they both need some extra nourishment.”

“That’s very kind of you Mae. You don’t have to cook for us. I know it’s hard to believe but I learned a few things and I can follow a recipe.”

“Considering all you do around here, it’s the least I can do. Besides I was cooking for us and it’s easy to throw in a few more pieces of chicken and add extra dumplings.”

“Thank you. Momma was planning to make up something special for Charlotte tonight but somedays it’s more than she can manage.”

“Not to mention you love my dumplings even better than your momma’s, but that can stay our little secret.” Mae laughed and handed the pot to Wyatt.  “Make sure to bring this little angel by while Clare is here so they can get to know each other.”

“How long do you plan to visit?” Wyatt asked.

“I’m not sure. Granny and I have a lot of catching up to do based on what I can see around here.”  Clare thought she saw Wyatt’s chest puff out slightly.

“The old place is shaping up and Mae’s green thumb brings people back time after time.”

Clare bit her lip to avoid saying what was on her mind. She wondered if it was wrong to be angry about the farm actually bringing in money. It would be all that much harder to get Mae to sell. She wanted her grandmother to be happy and safe. This rambling patch of grass and weeds could be converted into a subdivision and Mae would be set for the rest of her years. 

“Granny, I hope Wyatt isn’t working you too hard. This, er, business, will require hours of effort to get off the ground.” Clare directed her gaze from her grandmother to Wyatt. “I think my grandmother should be enjoying her golden years and not working from dawn to dusk.”

“Nonsense. This is exactly what I need to be doing. I’ve always kept busy taking care of others but this farm is where my heart is. Your granddad and I lived here for sixty years. I raised your momma here. What would my life be without this little plot of land?”

“Now that Gramps is gone, I hoped you would consider moving in with me in the city. We have so little time together.”


Mae didn’t respond, instead she stood and took Clare’s hand.  “I think it’s time you and I had a long talk.”


Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller