Book Review - Matchmaking for Beginners: A Novel by Maddie Dawson, by L. A. Keller

Before I found this book I was thinking to myself that I hadn't read a really great book in ages.  I don't know what drew me to select this one - certainly not the title. I do enough matchmaking already so I don't need advice on how to fix up my girlfriends. Happily, this book wasn't at all what I expected. It was vastly better!  Warning, there are a few spoilers ahead.

The story opens with Blix, a zany older lady with terminal cancer. That doesn't sound fun, and it's certainly not, but Blix will capture your heart.  We meet her when she is attending the engagement party of her nephew, Noah in Virginia. Her wealthy family, ashamed of her flamboyant dress and unusual ways, thinks she practices witchcraft. And maybe she does - a little. But mostly she's just a free spirit who loves life and listens to her intuition.

The author completely had me in the early pages with this line from Blix, "I'm about to agree with him when I realize with a start that he didn't really say that last bit. It's too loud and hot in this room, so I vaporize him with my mind, and sure enough, he toddles off."  I will try this the next time I'm stuck with someone who chatters on about nothing.

It's only a few pages later when Blix states her mantra to the young woman, Marnie set to marry her nephew, "You need a mantra to help you. You can borrow mine, if you want: whatever happens, love that."  I am definitely going to steal this from Blix.

Marnie's character is special from the first moment but what she becomes in the end is an entirely new but whole person. We follow the story from the point of view of Blix and Marnie. The author switches between the two primary characters flawlessly. The writing reminds me of Catherine Ryan Hyde - a storyteller who makes you sincerely care about each personality.

There are funny bits and sad but the end has just what you need.  I'll definitely try another of this author's work and recommend this one wholeheartedly.




Happy Trails,

Leslie


Twitter     Instagram     Facebook     Menu for Murder     Cocktails at Sunset


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller