Inspiration - where does it come from?

I am frequently asked how I find the inspiration to create my characters. Often I take from the world around me - a funny story told by a friend, a person I pass in the airport, someone I'm standing behind in the grocery checkout line. These snippets may pop up as a full blown character or they may play a very small role.

A good example of this shows up in Cocktails at Sunset. I was standing in line at the office supply store behind a petite older lady wearing wide legged, cotton pants embellished with American flags. I was so struck by her confidence, and the joy she exuded by her outfit, that I immediately made notations in my phone. If I hadn't thought it would have been too rude, I would have taken her picture. In one scene in Cocktails at Sunset this outfit is worn by Arlene. It epitomized what I thought she would wear.

I think most writers will tell you that we spend a good portion of our time absorbing other people's lives. Writing is a solitary activity. Although I may listen to music while I write, I rarely have a conversation. But as soon as I'm away from the laptop, whatever you do or say within my range of sight or hearing is fair game. 

Happy Trails,

Leslie

Visit my website for news and book updates

Twitter          Instagram          Facebook          Menu for Murder







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller