Writing with a partner

I recently attended a one day seminar which featured a session on writing as part of a team.  It was fascinating to see how the partners (two ladies in this case) played off each other's strengths and weaknesses to create their work.

After some trial and error they discovered what worked for them.  To start they write on a schedule.  One partner is in charge of coffee and danish while the other drives to her house to start their daily task.  Once together they review the work which each was assigned and then start composing.  Each partner has certain elements they contribute but ultimately the voice of the work reflects them both.

It may be impossible for them to tell at the end of the day who contributed which piece but ultimately it doesn't matter.  I suppose the old saying applies here, "Two heads are better than one".

Lately I wish I did have a writing partner who could help motivate me to get busy.  Waiting to hear from the editor and the agent, who both expressed an interest in the first book, has left me lazy.  Knowing I had a partner showing up first thing in the morning would definitely prompt me to focus.

Finding someone with whom you could cooperate and produce a finished product that you were both happy with might be hard but I can see the benefits.  In the meantime I will be grateful to my writing critique group who expects me to produce before the June meeting.

I better stop thinking about my beach vacation and start putting some words into the laptop!

Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does the Wine Glass Matter by L. A. Keller

I Don't Believe in Happily Ever After by L. A. Keller

Jayne's Restaurant Review - Fabio on Fire by L. A. Keller